Friday, December 19, 2008

You don't know Santa

Child Unit 3 has been having troubles sleeping lately. She wouldn't be coaxed to bed with the idea that she got to wear street clothes to work, or that she was going to Child Unit 4's care provider next week as a treat. So, we've done the next best thing and leveraged the seasonal spectator that is widely available, Santa.

The conversation kind of fell out like this:

Me: CU-3 if you don't go to bed, you won't be ready tomorrow and you'll be too tired to have fun with CU-4.

CU-3 continues to do distracting activities to keep herself from going to bed, like lamenting about the state of the economy.

Me: CU-3, do I have to call Santa to say not to stop by this year?

CU-3: You don't know Santa's number.

Well, to me, them's fighting words, and I respond in kind:

Me: You don't think so?!

So I go into the kitchen and ask The Huz for the hot line to 1-800-GRANDMA, dial it and have this conversation:

Me: Hi Mrs. Santa, this is Me. I have a little girl who doesn't want to go to bed. Would Santa be available to talk to her?

Mrs. Santa: Not going to bed is she. Sure. I'll see if he can come to the phone.

Santa comes to the phone and starts ho ho hoing. I have to pause him to get CU-3 on the phone, who's almost lost her air of cockiness. They have a chat where she puts in her order. I ask her to pass the phone to The Huz when she's done. And off to bed she tottles.

Mission accomplished.

3 comments:

Nat said...

Damn I miss that power... this year it's not working.

Anonymous said...

Santa and Mrs. Santa are glad to be of service. You know this only work for a while, but then she will be happy to do the "Call Santa" on CU-4. The stories I could tell. HoHoHoHo.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I was a good kid and my parents had no need to call Santa. He always called me to get my Christmas list every year though and it scared the crap outta me! I dreaded those calls. He had such a deep voice!

With the new generation, they, unlike myself, take after the Mr. and are rotten. I've had to call Santa.