Monday, September 26, 2005

Ritchie Rich

"We have responsibilty as citizens to do what we can for each other."
New Orleans chief Paul Prudhomme


This morning, as I walked the child-units to school, child-unit 1 asked me a barrage of questions. Why. Why. Why. Why is it cold outside? Why don't people respond to invitations? Why do I wear that coat? Why is it raining? Why do I go through the garbage?

I'm not sure that this child really wanted, or even was looking for answers to any of these questions. I found that they came so fast, and that they were such good questions that I didn't have answers. In those cases where I didn't have an answer, this child voiced some hypothesis.

"Oh! It's because of this ..." the child would respond as he mixed and matched the questions and answers.

When he asked me why I picked up other people's trash, this child-unit thought that I picked up stuff because we didn't have money. Perhaps that is what he's been told by some well-intentioned relative when they found out about my secret passion for mongo.

It tried to explain to him the concept of generous people putting out their mongo that they didn't want anymore; that they didn't know how to get it to the people who could take it and make it work, or fix it up so that it could be used.

I tried to explain to him that it was like a free garage sale where people can take what they need.

I tried the explain to him that the universe is generous and that I've always had what I needed. (Though not always what I want, that's where A few of my favorite things comes in!)

Then child-unit 1 dropped off into thought, and child-unit 2's voice filled the void.

As I continued on my way after the drop-off, I began to pondered child-unit 1's questions regarding my thrifty exercises. I can appreciate how he is at odds with the message I bring home, and that which his friends, and close relatives may counter with.

I learned it was ok to be generous. That the less one had, the easier it was to be generous and share what a person did have. For me, it was often a win-win situation. Those who touched my life in an anonymous way of leaving road-side treasures helped me feel rich: rich in friends, rich in support, rich in spirit and rich in hope.

No comments:

Blog Archive