Friday, September 02, 2005

Keeping up with the Joneses

A couple of weeks ago I got Baby Boom out of the library for a cottage rainy night distraction. There is one scene where Diane Keaton, new Mom, is hanging out in a park and over hears other Moms talking about their child's placement on waiting lists for the best, Ivy League kindergartens. I had that kind of eye opener this week.

I've got a couple of kids who didn't come with instruction manuals, which makes my life um, a challenge. Some days I feel like it'd be easier to program a 1980s VCR clock then to be a parent. This week I could have used that manual with a really good index. This week I needed the skills to address a child's statement that she wants to quit an activity. Oh the horror! The shame to the family name! Imagine the scorn! What will this mean for her later in life?! What do you mean she's not a child protégé?

Reality grip here. Yah. Yah. These notions did float through my head for about an hour. Oh, well, really a couple of hours. Oh OK, make that a couple of days. I was angry. Pouting. Stomping. In my head I knew forcing her wouldn't be the answer. It just took a bit longer for my heart to catch up. Besides, my DH said it best, when, in his most reasonable tone stated, "she's young yet". (He's right, but I'm not telling him that!)

So, with nine lessons already paid for, and no refunds available, guess who's going to be taking lessons this fall! I just have to figure out how to fit into the tutu ...

1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

LOL--That was tutu funny! (sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Blog Archive