Monday, January 19, 2009

Living in this house should come with a WARNING

I've repeatedly told my children that they signed a contract at birth. They claim they don't remember. I tell them, that's their problem, not mine.

For example, when one child provokes the other, and I'm in my did-I-really-sign-up-for-this-I-can't-recall-doing-so moods, I'll tell the warring children that it's in their contract to annoy one another. Usually that brings a break in the proceeding, long enough for them to get distracted and leave one another alone.

Apparently my contract says that I'll have a steel-trap mind for stuff that lies around our home. Not a particularly useful super power until you get the desperate call at work from The Huz who's channeling an equally desperate kid who can't find his or her mittens-lunch-box-home-work-glasses-socks-shoe-favorite-lucky pencil.

I have to say I think it's really sad that I've got a response for him like "check the laundry room shelf on the right hand side, left side of that shelf, in the green bin, at the back, under the cotton wads). It's very sad.

Alas, it's not these common place occurrences that have triggered today's entry. No. I wish it were. It has more to do with siblings getting into places they're probably not supposed to be going into.

Take this evidence, for example:
When The Huz went upstairs for the eighth time this evening to try to put the Terror Child to bed, The Huz found chocolates, partially consumed, apparently not being of the liking of the immediate consumer.

This was never his box of chocolates to consume. The greater problem isn't trying to scrape the child off the wall after having consumed sugar, it's having to deal with the sibling to whom the box of chocolates belongs who isn't here to deal with the immediate disappointment.

Even more regrettable is that the child on the loosing end already had another candy stash broken into.

So here's my problem. Do I try to guess the number of chocolates post-consumed and replace those? Do I hide the box and pray to small gawds that he doesn't notice the box is missing? Do I even confess what the sibling did? Oh the choices.

6 comments:

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

What about making Terror Child 'fess up and make amends?

Anonymous said...

Let's see you could fess up, reminding the loosing child that the offender is only little and doesn't understand, or tell the loosing child that the stash should have been put in a better place. Or best yet, tell the looser that you will get them another box with the Terror child's funds. That might help, good luck

alison said...

I was thinking the same as Grandma C. Does Terrorchild have an allowance that could be used to purchase replacement chocolates? And an apology is in order, too.

Nat said...

I'm with Alison and Grandma C on this one. Either way some sort of apology and making amends (chores perhaps) is in order.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Just tell him/her the government took it's share in taxes while the missing child was away.

No apology is needed when stealing a family members chocolate. My house rules are if you don't eat it all in one fell swoop then the leftovers are fair game. That's the way it works in my household and I must say, I'm quite satisfied;-) TRANSLATION: IF YOU HAVEN'T HIDDEN IT WELL ENOUGH FROM MOM IT'S AS GOOD AS GONE.

richgold said...

The terror child will be two Saturday. And he crosses between Spanish (his care giver is Latina, French (2/3 of the family speak), English and jibberish. The later, he's fluent in.

PC - the tax man commeth. I do like that one. Maybe I can tell the loosing child that Mayor Larry came and picked it over because he's tired of bullying the bus drivers ...