Saturday, October 25, 2008

Can't say that

So this is my last week of freedom to work. As October turns to November, I'll be returning to the gulag that I fondly call my French class. Though it's something I wished on for years and years (to get enough intensive language classes to finally *get it*), I'm not looking forward to the change of schedule, the smallish classroom, and the inability to structure my day as I see fit.

The Huz just hit that one home as he said to his daughter "Bienvenue" in return of her "Merci". In this province, "Bienvenue" means a couple of things, mostly "Welcome", though, over there, in Québec it is used as "thank you" too. (Thus where I must have picked it up.)

I've been trying to deprogram myself for the last six weeks. Habits are hard to break.

Maybe I should take up smoking ...

2 comments:

Nat said...

Yes, it's been adopted by Franco-Ontariens but the correct response is actually "De rien" or "Au plaisir." -- my grade 11 French teacher in high school used to get furious when she heard it. Scared the welcome right out of us.

richgold said...

Oh, merci! Merci! for those alternatives. It's so stupid the things I get hung up on.