Friday, October 21, 2005

Mental cha cha

Fall is definitely here. Maybe even winter, though that doesn't officially start for another few months. I went to bed with the radio playing in the background, hearing that not only did I miss the announcement for first frost, but we're to get snow too. Oh swell. It means that the slow shift into digging out the seasonal garbage bags of mismatched mittens and fur-frosted tukes has to be done much sooner, then much later.

It also means that I have to spend the time that I can outside to get the garden in shape for next years plantings and for this year's ice skating rink.

With all the children home, I may be able to conscript them into helping me. Sometimes I can pass it off as a Tom Sawyeresk activity telling them that it's sooo much fun that they really want to participate. I'm pretty sure I can count on child-unit 3 (CU-3) to help me with quality checks and to give me feedback as to my skill at any particular task I turn my hand to.

For example, for a family of five we have a fair amount of laundry surfacing from the basement, requiring processing at any given time. As a treat, I sometimes do this task in front of the television. Well, apparently me folding laundry in front of the TV is about as successful as doing homework in front of the TV. Too many distractions and not enough quality coming from the task.

This is where child-unit 3 comes along for quality checks. CU-3 looks at the piles of sorted laundry and will begin to remove and shake out those items that do not meet the quality standards.

I think there's a career here.

No comments: