Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Self-doubt

I think it comes with the territory, self-doubt does. Or, at least comes with the season.

I've been going through a rough patch between parenting, and work and pursuing my passion for photography. A lot of questions and few answers. Seems I'm not alone. I don't mind. I actually enjoy the company ;-)

Funny thing that - that self-doubt. While I was roaming around, void of adult company this past weekend, I was having a conversation in my head about canning my now multi-year initiative of showing my work through the display space I created in my home. I guess I'd stirred up enough of something that, that same day, not but an hour or two later, I got an unexpected visit from three septuagenarians who were looking for MY gallery space.

They were early (I usually have the house tidied for visitors, and baking in the oven by 2 o'clock). I had borscht on the boil. Not the cookies I'd been planning. They came. I babbled, at a loss this weekend for words. My head so far stuck in a pity-me hole that I wasn't prepared. We had a very short visit.

They weren't planning to by anything. We chatted about the February show that was about to be flipped. She pointed to the middle one.

How much? Hmm. Well. Framed ... yes, it's much more expensive. Let me show you what it looks like. Yes. Yes. I recommend their services. They do such a nice job.

Unframed? Yes. Ok. Take it now? Just a minute. Let me find an envelope.

I was buoyed for most of the rest of the day while I sat on my news that I'd closed the deal.

Photography is a hard sell in Ottawa. And I did it.

Maybe I should keep things going a little longer ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my congrats. I'd keep it going for a while, don't forget Spring is comming, and perhaps more people will stop by. Gee you may have to inlist the aid of the "Cleaning Faries". Good Luck, hope you sell a bunch

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful! Congrats on the sale. And, hopefully, this will dispel your doubts a bit.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

WoooHooo! Congrats! BTW. If you quit now, I quit too. I mean it!

Nat said...

I love this idea of a gallery in your home. Even better that you sold a few things.