Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dinner

At one point in time I tried to make fudge. It didn't turn out well. (It got a bit rolled and then squeezed, so when I went to present it to the recipient, it kind of looked like a poo sample.)

Tonight, The Huz prepared dinner and topped fudgy attempts. He decided he wanted to take a Citizen's recipe that they'd showcased last week out for a test drive. He bought some unsuspecting round steak that he marinated and bundled overnight. It was in the oven, under covers before I ever got to see it.

When I did, it made a lasting impression on me. In the dish, I wasn't sure if it was an animal's penis or a rope of shit. Seriously. And be thankful that I didn't take a picture of it. (I had to have him mash it up for me before I sat down for dinner.)

And, even before eating it, I told him he was never to use the recipe again.

On a more funner note, The Huz teased me with a post about a 5-minute, microwavable cake.

So, being the good experimentor I am, I let two of the kids loose in the kitchen while I tried to take another through the deep hells of homework.

It turned out rather ok, though the complaint was that it was too much and too dry. I picked at it afterwards. If you have a real hankering for cake and have some ice cream, or amazing coffee around, it might be worth a shot.

Here's the recipe:

5 minute cake
  • coffee mug

  • 4 tablespoons flour

  • 4 tablespoons sugar

  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa

  • 1 egg

  • 3 tablespoons milk

  • 3 tablespoons oil
In the mug, mix all the dry ingredients, then add the egg, milk and oil.

Put in the microwave for 5 minutes.

Watch as the cake crests (oooh, ahhh). No need to panic. It will collapse after the heat is done.

Eat.

4 comments:

Nat said...

First to comment!!!

So ... was it, edible or did you chuck it and have sandwiches? Totally trying the microwave cake...

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I think I'd prefer your chocolate cake (baked) with Kahlua icing thank you.

richgold said...

I ate it. It still gives me nightmares.

The cake was good, though dry. Good in a pinch.

alison said...

This post just had co-workers looking in to see why I was laughing so loudly. I started to smirk at "unsuspecting round steak", but when you described the finished dish, I cracked up. I might even have peed a little.

It was great to see you on Saturday morning. We'll definitely have to do that again!

Oh, and as for your question on my blog about whether Max could tell there'd been snakes in the house, well he did spend a long time sniffing the living room rug, so I guess he did notice.