Tuesday, March 24, 2009

my letter is C

Needing a kick in the back of my chair, I asked Jen to send me a letter for this meme from Small Town Mom. Name 10 things I like, all beginning with the letter she assigned me: C.

Maybe because it's been a rough week, (pre-teen kids can be soooooooooooo moody!), interrupted sleep, and general life in this nutty house, I'm feeling the need to wrap myself in cotton wool and think of a few of my favorite things. (This post was actually started sometime LAST weekend!)

1. Candy - actually sugar in it's nicest and refined sense. Like in cakes, and cookies and candy corn. But then, that's not a particularly interesting fact because I think most people share a similar love of sugar.

2. Carol - This happens to be the name (with variant spellings) of many important people in my life. My mother-in-law happens to top the list. I'm going public and outing myself with this news. I really like my mother-in-law. Man, am I lucky too. I know of a parcel of people who have mother-in-laws that are difficult. She's my go-to girl when things get difficult.

3. C-levels - what I'd actually like to obtain when I write my French exams next week. C = B+ to A range. An E means you're exempt from ever having to write the tests again. EVER. I've seen studying, since September, just to get my B levels! (That's the equivalent of a C to a B- in a university level course.)

4. Curls - I've got amazing curly hair. It's a cross between a Jew-fro and a poodle. As a kid, I kind of ignored my hair. As an adult, I've fought with it, wanted to divorce it, chemically straightened the life out of it, and have now come to accept that I need to get a Bishon Friezé when I'm older, just so that we're fashionable and match.

5. Cancun - or some where equally warm. My sister just came back from the Grand Cayman Islands and writes of a glorious week of scuba diving and lolling on the beach in 28 degree Celcius weather. I'm kind of jealous of that. Then again, she lives further North and deserves a break from the ice and snow jams she faces 10 months of the year.

6. Cripes! This exercise isn't as easy I thought it would be when I asked Jen for the letter for the meme. It's taken me the better part of a week to get this far. And, to support this entry, I like the word cripes. I don't say it out loud very often and seeing it written, it reminds me of my childhood when real swearing, like we hear these days, was less fashionable.

7. Contemporary - I've fallen in love with the home style. Growing up, I used to love Connecticut Loyalist for home styling. Now that I've hit my middle age (I'm assuming I'm at the top of the heap now and everything else is just headed for the great retreat), my tastes in food and in housing has changed considerably. I now love the sleek, monastic lines of contemporary houses like Jens, or those I find in Dwell magazine (I have such a crush on this mag!). It's not like I'm ever going to live in a house like that, or that mine will change. (The Huz likes country styling, so we've compromised somewhere in the middle, to 1970s-self-storage-unit chic.)

8. Cartoons - love 'em. The original Bugs Bunny show. Calvin & Hobbes. Archie. (I think I still have a speudo-crush on Jug Head.) I still buy Archies now and again for Child Unit 1 on the expressed condition that he lends them to me afterward.

9. Community - I heart mine in a BIG way. Could it be the walkability. The culturual centre? Not just. It's the people. There's just something about the people that live in and around this place. I like 'em and they make this a place worth living in.

10. To paraphrase the great Cookie Monster - C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me. And C is for oatmeal-raisin cookie dough that I'm too lazy to finish baking, so I've packed some raw dough in my lunch box for tomorrow. Maybe I'll get around to baking the last of the cookies tomorrow night. Or maybe I'll just make a new batch. The chocolate chips are calling to me!

Oh cookie, cookie, cookie starts with C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a lot of the same C things.

I love Dwell magazine too, but stopped subscribing because 1) I'm not longer designing a house and 2) the absurd prices of the items they featured drove me nuts.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Government French levels kill me. Anglophones pretty much have to speak flawless French. They then have the nerve to put a Francophone in front of a television camera as a spokesperson who can hardly say boo in English. Yah right! THEY'RE bilingual.

delmer said...

Cookie dough is even better than cookies are.

I had a few too many of the oatmeal raisin variety over the winter and need to get out and work them off.

Anonymous said...

Gee we have something in common, I have the best daughter-in-law any woman could have, in fact I couldn't have picked a better mate for our son.