Monday, July 14, 2008

Failure is scary; success is scarier

Ok. Ok. It's been a rough week. I'm not a person used to getting a lot of attention (despite what I look like!)

I just finished a project for which the idea has apparently has been kicking around my 'hood for quite a while - an arts map identifying all the interesting places that support the arts in our immediate corner of the city.

A friend of mine was pushing me hard to get it up and out. I guess he knows I'm a great three-quarter person. That is, get three-quarter of the work done, then just forget to pass it in. (Not that I ever did that kind of thing in school. I just didn't have to. I wasn't scholastically hot shit until I hit graduate school.)

So, it's out now. Made free. Go out and multiply!

***

On a "where the hell is this all coming from" kind of note, as I think I've ceased to have a hold on much of my reasoning abilities, I just finished The Adventures of Johnny Bunko a book that's fast, easy to read, and makes reasonable career sense, coming from a comic book. (It's worth the wait from the library, or, if you go to the website - he posts a couple of pages a day.)

To summarize the lessons learned:

1. There is no plan.
2. Think strengths, not weaknesses
3. It's not about you
4. Persistence trumps talent.
5. Make excellent mistakes.
6. Leave an imprint.

I feel that the release of the map, and quite a few things I've done recently, hits quite a few of those lessons.

3 comments:

Mrs. G. said...

Put a few drops of lavender oil under your pillow. Sweet dreams.

Anonymous said...

Great idea the arts map thing...

Josie said...

Love the map. Love it. Have already passed it along:)