Saturday, January 14, 2006

Family lore

Subtitled: "My kids will be in therapy for years".

Oh yah. My poor, poor children. Not only do they have to deal multiple households, multiple rules, multiple father figures, they have to deal with ME, and well DH! WE the "original" parents.

DH has a quirky side that really to know is to love. He's the kind of guy I wish I had as a dad. On the face of it, he seems a bit gruff, a bit scary to little things - kind of like Santa, or clowns. He's kind of round, and loyal, loyal, loyal ... like a Labradoodle. He's quiet, for the most part, and has a sly sense of humor that sneaks out and grabs you, usually at the most unexpected times. He's a fantastic storyteller. When he's on a roll, get as many free breaths in as you can 'cause you'll be asking for oxygen there after. He'll have you on the floor with your legs in the air bicycling for breath.

Which brings me to why there's an advert for Catmilk on this site.

One morning, CU2 was acting a little cross, crotchety, ornery, so DH thought this was the perfect opportunity to give her the gears.

DH: CU2, can you please feed the animals (bad cats and bad dog)? Oh, and while you're at it, milk the cats.
CU: What?
DH: Can you please feed the animals and when you're done, before school, milk the cats.
CU: What? You can't milk cats.
DH: Sure you can. Where do you think milk comes from?
CU: Cows?
DH to me as I walk into the kitchen, rubbing sleep from my eyes: What do you say?
Me: Huh?
DH to me: Where does milk come from?
Me: Depends on the animal.
DH to CU: See. So, please milk the cats before you go to school.
CU: They're boy cats!
DH: Oh, that may take a little longer. Maybe you can do it after school.

...

A couple of days later at breakfast time ...

CU2: Can I have some milk?
DH: I dunno can you?
CU2: Can I please have some milk?
DH: What kind? [BC1 (bad cat 1) walks through the kitchen)] Catmilk?
CU2: What?
DH: Do you want some catmilk?
CU2: No.

So the whole catmilk thing went away until just over the Christmas holidays when CUs 1 and 2 were away and DH had more time on his hands then ways he could entertain himself. He decided it would be a good idea that we packed up the rest of the family and went out to the local mall to see what was going on on Boxing Day. I'm always up for an adventure in odd things, and seeing that I've never done any of the crazy shopping on Boxing Day I said I was game. We went, we saw nothing out of the ordinary, but we were able to pick-up some Catmilk for CU2 and her breakfast cereal ... proving that yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause ... and there is such a thing as catmilk.

1 comment:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

LOL! Too good! (You don't use it in the Kahlua cake do you?)