Friday, October 19, 2007

Disbelief, that's a word for it

Ok, this one is easy to blog about, but may not be of interest to that many people.

I have a friend (yes really, it's not me) to whom I was introduce based on a commonality - divorce and children. She had and I have. That's were much of the commonality begins and ends on this particular topic.

She's an interesting woman to know. Smart, attractive, sporty and capable. And let me not forget, crippled by the Canadian (in)justice system.

In the divorce decree that was made at the time many years ago, she was not healthy and was unable to defend herself against the much better (financially) positioned ex-spouse. He went at her tooth and nail and walked away with the children. Over the years, he has continued to verbally, emotionally and financially rein rough over his ex-wife (and their children but not using the money she sends him to raise their children). One could say the family has fallen apart after the divorce -- in so many ways.

She has paid, big time. She has supporting three children who have learned (by simply going through the process of teenagers in a ME-ME-ME world and by his own example) to continue to sustain the abuse when they are with their mother.

She has been kept in an economic vice for so many years that she is close to the poverty line.

While this story isn't uncommon - the part that I find so discouraging and that makes me so fearful for having to deal with my ex-husband is the burnt-earth financial policy that some judges allow to stand.

In the case of my friend, she was back in court recently to request lower payments as her eldest child was not in school, had joined the military, and was married. The judge refused to hear her case, lambasted her for wasting the court's time and gave her an additional financial penalty to her already heavy burden.

I read this account with great disbelief.

Where is the justice in the law. I am aware that law IS black and white. It makes me question the greater good. What lesson can be learned by beating some one continuously? Why does this woman receive NO compassion or relief any time she is before the courts?

From the side of the ex-husband - he continues to hold the upper hand. He continues the financial warfare and is encouraged to do so every time the judge rules.

I hope the karma bus comes for you Sir.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, that happens here in the US, too. The laws are stupid, archaic and need to be changed so that things can be done fairly with the welfare of the children in mind.

Great post, though. Make you think.

mks said...

She went to court to request LOWER payments, as in LESS money from her husband and she got penalized. I am sitting here in disbelief myself. Best of luck to you in your siutation as well.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe this is happening to your friend. Hopefully things will work out in her favor very soon. I believe in Karma too!

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

If I were her I think I'd just pick up and move to some tropical country with no taxes and live on the beach.