Friday, October 05, 2007

"Diff'rent is nice but it sure isn't pretty"

From A Chorus Line, "At the ballet"

Mother always said I'd be very attractive
When I grew up, when I grew up.
"Diff'rent," she said, "With a special something
And a very, very personal flair."
And though I was eight or nine,
Though I was eight or nine,
Though I was eight or nine,
I hated her.
Now,

"Diff'rent" is nice, but it sure isn't pretty.
"Pretty" is what it's about.
I never met anyone who was "diff'rent"
Who couldn't figure that out.
So beautiful I'd never lived to see.
But it was clear,
If not to her,
Well, then... to me...
That ...

Everyone is beautiful at the ballet.
Every prince has got to have his swan.
Yes,
Everyone is beautiful at the ballet.

Hey!...

I was pretty...

At the ballet

***
When the word different came up as the word of the week, this is what I immediately thought of. It seems, that to some degree, I live my life through snipits of musicals. When I'm happy, I sing in full voice (in my head) OKLAHOMA! or Singing in the Rain. And when I'm sad, there's a sound track to that.

I'm different. Always was. Auburn haired. Speckled like a ripe banana. I stood out from my peers. Didn't help that my mother dressed me a little more creatively then other students at my clique-y elementary school. It was too late by the time I reached junior high.

Over the years I've wanted to be part of the in crowd, or any crowd. (Much like the line from Ferris Bueller's Day off - he was popular with the dweebs and the potheads, motor heads and jocks.) Oh how I tried. Looking back, I figure I must have had some guardian angels pulling the feathers out of their wings trying to keep me on track!

A few major wrong turns, a few overcorrections later, and here I am. Happier with myself. Finding myself amongst the creatives who are different and who see it as a good thing.

I've got children who are different; each with his or her strength. I look at them and wonder if they're going to be outsiders looking in, or insiders looking out. Will they reach out or within to show compassion when there is an opportunity. How different or how conforming will they be to smooth out their journey.

Two of the four CU-s already live a different life. How is this going to mold them for the future?

They too face an amazing journey. I looking forward to watching them as they take steps, and hope they find peace with their differences.

3 comments:

------- said...

Absolutely true!

It is ironic, how we pay lip service to the beauty of our differences, when it is uniformity that is considered truly beautiful. Perhaps, one day, we will stop being afraid of that which is different... and appreciate its unique beauty.

mks said...

Lovely post. I am 36 years old and it has taken me many many years to accept who I am. My differences are not that wild or far from the norm but I am now doing what is fitting to me and not what others see as fitting!

Sage said...

When I think back, I can honestly say I felt like a square peg in a round hole.

Different is what makes a person interesting. When you're younger it's what makes you appear weird.
Now I can truly say I'm glad I'm different; my self-acceptance has been a long time coming. Let's hear it for all the different people!