Thursday, May 28, 2009

It helps if you remember your password

So life is in full swing. The last few weeks have been running, running, running. Few fatalities, except for reformatting a memory stick that had some information that's not replaceable. Ugh and oh well.

But things are going to get quieter, maybe.

All I need now is some sleep.

For the last couple of weeks, sleep has been fleeting. We made it past the wild weekend of people traffic.

Friday night was pizza night and we fed, oh, about 28 people. Fun. Entertaining. No biggy. Looking forward to the next one too.

Saturday was a bigger then life day though. Not one, but two birthday parties. Child Unit 3 was first up to bat with a handful of five year olds. A home based party was held. It was good. Easy. Incredibly easy. Too easy.

With a one hour break, most of the kidlets were picked up except for one. Again, no biggy, except that this child was feeling the affects of not seeing his parental units for 24 hours.

The hour of respite passed quickly and the second wave of older kids came through. Eight girls were shuttled into the upper regions of the house, with their personal items and gifts for the birthday girl. Giggling ensued while they realized we'd kept the surprise party a secret from Child-Unit 2.

We all went off to the artistic activity. Coordinated the drop-off of Cu-2. And SURPRISE!

It was a beautiful thing.

We trucked back through the hood. Upon hitting the door, I was confronted by The Huz who's temple veins were throbbing. He was ready to skin some children.

As the lore that will be told in the future goes, one of the "little people" got into the guests' room and TRASHED it. And I mean trashed it. It was a neighbor who spotted one of the kids smearing something white (turned out to be yoghurt) on the window. Gifts were open, nothing was left untouched.

That wasn't pretty.

Funny though, it's like the universe was conspiring; I was totally calm, with a real laissez-faire attitude. What should have been a screaming match turned out to be manageable, no big deal, particularly in the face of nine potentially hysterical kids. We made it through. All was good.

It's got to be one of the weirdest events that's happened to me. I'm never calm, at least not like that.

Good stuff that I was back to normal my Monday!

4 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

Yikes!

Grandma "C" said...

Man I know that "calm" feeling, had it happen to me a couple of times many years ago. As long as the birthday people had a good time, what the heck.

alison said...

Sorry bout the room trashing. What were those girls *thinking*? I'm glad you didn't let it get the better of you. 28 people for pizza??? Wow, that's quite a bunch. Sounds like fun though.

Nat said...

Oh my! I think you might have been peeling me off the ceiling...

That calm -- is usually my thinking, a suitcase... where do I keep the suitcase because I'm leaving and never EVER coming back.