Saturday, January 05, 2008

What? The year is five days old already?

I can't believe it's January 5th already. Really. I can't.

Last night we had the first pizza night of the year and rounded up some of the usual suspects. It was a blast. Only 15 of the 22 regulars made it. It was still a party. (Damned bought of the vomiting virus is going around! Not just for Britons either!)

As bottles, plates and glasses were put away, and the kitchen put back in order last night, I started commiserating with my visiting MIL about getting back to the regular of life.

Ah, regular life. After a year of self-inflicted leave (aka maternity leave), it's coming to an end. This is the longest I've ever been away (of my choice) from a job. I like work. I like my kids. Kids and work both have a tendency to drive me a bit mad. Having one to balance against the other is always a good thing for me. Makes me appreciate both so much more. Thus, two weeks from Monday I'm back! Woooohoooo!

So, my synapses are also slowly starting to come back on line like services after an ice storm. First it was remembering that CU-2 had Guide meetings. Next it was asking DH about his monthly appointment. (Thank goodness I had, because it was this morning!) It was also a good thing that I started manual synchronizing my paper work agenda (ooooh so old school) and the family calendar (also paper). I realized, with an hour and half grace, that CU-3's swimming lessons started!

Alas, soon my days will have more structure and routine so that I won't have to think so much. I'll be able to focus on flurries of activities like trying to update the blog, do some creative things, and then attend to the laundry at a more hectic pace. (I wonder if the Wii Olympic games have a speed laundry folding competition??)

So, in the short time I have left before rejoining the chaos, I've got time to give thanks for the option to be off, for having a great employer who allows and supports people with children, for patient, kind and caring people who listen to and tolerate my frustration and out bursts, as well my irregular humor. I appreciate you! (and it's not just the beer I had with dinner talking).

OMG! MUST CLOSE! The Green Goblin has struck again!! The toxic waste dump that has become CU-4's backside delivery system has delivered its load. DH is down for a nap, so I can't suggest that CU is playing his twisted version of Post Office!

1 comment:

Mrs. G. said...

Enjoys the last couple of weeks. Hope the virus is gone soon.