Monday, October 09, 2006

Thanks for giving

It's the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and I've spent the better part of it running around.

Relatives are in town, sort of (I hour outside the city at a centralized summer home to be exact). DH, CU3 and I spent Saturday barrelling out to spend a couple of hours with the sibs and cousins. Eight hours was pleasant, and seemed to be just the right amount of time before the pleasantries of a close-knit family started to break down and cross lines. (The topic of CU1 and 2's father, and divorce seem to be a no no at family gatherings. I will have to remember that if we attend the proposed week-long family reunion next August.)

Sunday again was running around. This time to attend to DH's winter covering needs. His very nice, and medium-expensive, one year old 3-in-1 coat gave up the ghost some time on Saturday. I coaxed him into foraging at one of our local malls (that I seem to go to once a year). We made it out with a cheaper version of the 3-in-1 (this being a 1 in 1). I don't have high hopes for this coat. I do hope it will last him the winter though. We came home before picking out a second, more rugged coat as he thinks CU3 decided to share the love, and her amazing head cold.

Short and sweet, we made it home on an express bus only to plunk CU3 in front of the visual child restraint so that we could catch a few zzzs before preparing for an early evening wedding.

The wedding was beautiful, tasteful and most of all entertaining. It was an intimate gathering of 50 of the bride and grooms mostly family, peppered with a few friends. Dinner wasn't rubber chicken or turkey as I'd feared, all because the groom is deathly allergic to birds (I'd forgotten this point and was dreading the reception).

Upon departing, I shared these sentiments with the bride and groom: "when I get married again, I'm having you plan the event".

The bus ride home was uneventful. CU3 crashed in her crash cart just before we got off the bus. Putting her to bed had to be one of the easier times this year.

Monday's here now, DH is spouting off that we have to get our a**es in gear because Halloween's almost here and there's not enough time in the day.

Ah, yah right. Ok.

More on that to follow.

*****

And to all those people who sneeze into their hands then touch all the support poles and door handles as they leave the bus, thanks for giving.

No comments: