Saturday, February 24, 2007

Uncle, aunt and all the extended family

I'm ready to say uncle.

For years I've been downplayings the challenges of having children. Today I'm 'fessing up saying that four is enough. At least four under the age of 18 and still living at home.

My day started off with CU-1 raising the dead (basically every one else in the house who happened to be sleeping) at 5:30 a.m. That's not too bad for most except I went to bed well after midnight, and CU-3 starts to act up when she's tired, and CU-2 just gets really really cranky.

After coralling and separating the children (the swimmers versus the non-swimmers), I went with the swimmers because it was "Bring a parent to class day". I hope the CUs realized how important it was that 1. I wore a bathing suit (a first in over 10 months), 2. I actually got into the water (I don't like getting cold or wet).

We were lucky and got buses both ways (which reduced the "why don't we have a car, I don't want to walk" conversations). DH was thankful for the extra pair of hands. I kept him busy though, as if he was attached to a bungy cord.

He just gets in the door, and then he's off with CU-2 for a birthday party and a quick groccery pick-up.

While he's off having a few minutes to himself, I'm at home with CU-1, 3 and 4. CU-1 and 3 have found sticks and are doing what kids do with sticks, CU-4 is doing what CU-4s of his age do best.

Me, I started thinking that four is enough.

For today.

Maybe.

No comments: