Sunday, August 28, 2005

RTFM

I've had a weird fascination with a TV program available on satelite dish. It's called Miami Ink.

I'm of two minds about tattoos. On one hand, I want one. On the other hand, I would probably never get one. I don't want to be a respectable old lady at 80 with a tatoo on my backside that I then regreted, because I'm the kind of gal who wouldn't get a sensible tat of a coy fish or a departed loved one's name on a shoulder, oh no, not me.

Not since watching the summer Olympics a few years back when there became a run on the "Made in the > enter your country's name here < " tattoo craze, did I really start thinking about tattoos and whether I'd have one or not. Since I saw my first tattoo (on Leon's fore arm when I was four), I kind of had a prejudice about who had 'em, who got 'em, and was always curious why some one would do that.

Having spent a decade in er, a non-mainstream relationship where the norm really wasn't ordinary (back then anyway), my prejudices were put a side and became main stream to me at the time.

Re-entering the real world (or the rest of the world you all see), I've begun to see that tattooing has become much much more mainstream. 30-something mothers-of-two are now getting pasley patterns permanently inked across their backsides, showing 'em off during coffee clutches.

Which brings me back to my own fantasy of this form of permanent adornment. To get one or not is one issue. The bigger issue is what to get? As previously mentioned, I like the idea of "Made in ...". It's cute, short (and thus less painful - in theory anyway), descrete (depending on where you have it) and somewhat patriotic while not going overboard. However, that's not what I'd get.

So, that naturally leads to the question "Whatdya get if you did it?" I think I've come to a definitive answer. RTFM.

That leads to the next question "Where?"

Below my naval.


Note
If you are interested in the concept of texted based tattoos Darren Barefoot's article was the starting point for me.

3 comments:

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

What is RTFM?

Grim Reaper on shoulder blade, or cross on my ankle.....ya, maybe that.

gwendell said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTFM (which links to the marvelous - a very useful site). :-)

Tats? I'd get a drawing of my cat. If I was going to get a tattoo. Which I'm not.

gwendell said...

Oops, I was censored. Doh! You might want to edit the comment to fix that, M. ;-)