Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I once had a simplier life

I consider myself a Luddite by persuasion.

I'd prefer not to have a cell phone (though it is handy when The Huz has gone off on a 7 a.m. grocery run and has left the list behind).

I like reading books made of paper. I don't own an iPod and wouldn't really know what to do with one. My five year old knows how to work the TV and time shifting better than me. The 2.5 year old knows how to program the VCR! Both my mother-in-law and mother are on Facebook now. I'm slipping farther and farther behind in my knowledge of technology.

The goofy thing is that I worked in hard core Technical Writing for over 12 years.

Today, well, tonight, I just figured out that I had yet another email address associated to an organization for which I am volunteering. I hadn't checked the email since it was established for me 2 months ago. There was/is a lot on my to do list now ... urg.

What really kicks my can though is that I now have collected no fewer then six email addresses. I really don't want that many and don't want to have to manage them. (The email function I looked at tonight didn't advise as to how to forward emails to my work address ...)

How do you all stay on top of your technology?

3 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

It can be a real hassle to stay on top of my technology. I have four email addresses -- home/family, blog, personal, and work. My personal emails all come into Outlook Express, so I view them in one spot. My work emails are viewed on the work computer only.

As for Facebook and Twitter, I check them periodically throughout the day, but don't stress if I don't get to them.

For reading blogs, I organize them all in Google Reader and get to them when I can.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

The first place the cops go when investigating someone is facebook. The local police officers were told by their superiors they are under no circumstances to open facebooks accounts for themselves. That was enough to scare me off of that technology.

I still have a digipulse phone line. I don't even have touch tone! (It's cheaper)

Grandma "C" said...

I have 2 e-mails one of which I don't use, and facebook. Just cancel the e-mail addresses you don't want, that's the easiest way.